Monday 14 June 2010

Apple Timer

Japanese designer, Che-Wei-Wang has also looked into the concept of alternative methods of communicating time. He says, "Can we watch decay? Can we see glass as a fluid slowly slumping and deforming over time? Everything is in constant flux, yet we consider many things around us static and fixed." It was this idea of decay that I found to be most interesting.
As the previous part of my project had taken place in my kitchen, I realised I was surrounded by decaying materials.
So, I picked an apple. I took a bite and captured an image of this one apple every minute, over an hour. I wanted to question whether the browning of this apple was a method of time keeping that I would feel comfortable with. And, it wasn't. As a timing device, it's subjective, variable. Unreliable.
But I thought there was something quite poetic about this narrative of this one apple at this one time, in this one place. For that one hour, it did keep time. So I turned this narrative into a book, documenting this apple's story. It features removable swatches at the back that track the apples colour over the hour, so, in theory, you could apply it to your own apple.