Thursday 23 April 2009

Designing for Death



Everything can be designed for.
This design stems from the shocking discovery of how many people die unnoticed in their homes each year. Some remaining undiscovered for almost a year. I didn't want to tiptoe around this. I wanted to design for these people. Not to save them from death but to save them from an unnoticed one.
My final outcome was a product that would weigh the amount of post that came through a persons door and was left unopened. When it reached a certain weight, after a certain time, the letterbox would jam and alert the outside world (or at least the postman).
This is an instruction kit I designed as a continuation of this project that illustrates how the user might make their own model. I chose to deal with this sensitive subject in an overly practical way. This created a strong contrast that might highlight this issue that shouldn't be occurring in such a communication obsessed culture.